Newman Brothers produced the world’s finest coffin fittings for over 100 years from 1894 until they closed their doors in 1999. Their furniture adorned the coffins of kings, queens and prime ministers, but eventually, Newman Brothers, once the ‘king of suppliers’, sadly, died its own death and was forced to close its doors and cease trading.
It is with thanks to the vision of its last owner, Joyce Green, that the manufactory and its contents survive. Everything has been preserved in situ, as it was left when its doors were finally closed. The building and its time-capsule contents have been described as Birmingham’s ‘Mercantile Mary Celeste’ and now forms the basis of the award-winning Coffin Works’ Museum.